Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quick post 4: Whip my hair


I see a star being born through Willow Smith’s Whip My Hair video. She gives into what is popular, and listens to what is being asked of her… a typical 12 year old girl. I want to believe that she is going to be different than other stars that start out this young, but I don’t think that will happen. But for now, she is different than what we are used to. She has a different look to her, and the lyrics are not sexist, racist or negative. There is something about this video, I don’t know if it is the way she is dancing or the stars above her lip but it seems very sexual to me. I have watched the video several times and re read the lyrics but I just can’t put my finger on it! For now, I think she does present as a good role model for girls because she is African American different from Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato, and she has a very different style with attitude. Although the way that she is dressing, her hair and her look does not resemble that of a 12 year old girl.. more like a sixteen or seventeen year old. In the more blatant example of a mother dressing up the two year old in a Madonna costume, that outright disgusts me. The two year old is robbed of her opinion and brain washed into wearing cosmetics that aren’t good for a baby’s sensitive skin, as well as spending time being made up and dressed up instead of at a playground running around. Somehow I feel this relates to the mother’s internal issues… something the mother wants to do… and what two year old isn’t absolutely adorable? I don’t believe this two year old is getting the right message from her mother, and the others that she is surrounded by. There is much more to life than what you look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment