Friday, January 21, 2011

Question O


In order to change the oppression in this country and in the world, we need to work together. We can fight oppression, racism, sexism, classism, ageism and all of the other isms as a team because I think that more prejudice people can be fought and resisted when there are more people backing the argument up. I feel that I can make a difference in this world as well. As long as I feel strongly enough about the issue at hand, I feel that I can change it- but slowly. Realistically speaking, I know that I cannot change every issue and turn any of the isms completely around. But I do know that I could help one person at a time even if it takes a small act like defending a stranger in a situation where they are facing ridicule or oppression. I truly hate to see someone in that situation, especially when it is a result of something they cannot help. I think that I am part of the “privileged” group, being in the middle class and Caucasian and maybe I can use that to my advantage. For example, if a white woman is making fun of a black woman and I defended the black woman, the white woman may take my advice more seriously than if it was coming from a black woman. I feel that I can help educate others in my sphere of influence by talking to them about oppression and the isms while helping them work through the critical thinking process. I absolutely want to leave the world a better place than when I entered it. I want people to feel equal to one another, and being a mother, this is especially important to me. I want to educate my daughter on life and how to treat people with respect. I want to help her critically think about issues such as this from a young age, and let her know that in some cases like religion, we don’t really know who is “right”.

No comments:

Post a Comment