Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lady Gaga


I am torn whether or not I believe Lady Gaga is a feminist or not. I do appreciate that she supports many good causes, but I also am weary of whether or not she may be doing this for her advantage as a superstar, as Bell Hooks discussed. Her image is absolutely provocative but interesting and attention grabbing. Her music videos are fascinating and different, and it seems as though every song she releases is an immediate hit. I do think that she is a good role model for young girls in terms of being different, but she still objectifies women through the media. Personally, she does not mean too much for me. I think the Lady Gaga trend will end eventually and I never actually download her songs because I get so sick of them on the radio. I have looked over the lyrics to her songs and they don’t feature as much sexism, classism, ageism, racism as other lyrics do. I think that she uses being a spokesperson and a good will ambassador for her advantage more so for the actual cause.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I couldn't really decide if I felt she was a feminist or not so I just stayed with her not being one for now. I believe at times she does use her privileges as an advantage as well. I wouldn't say she is the best role model but she definitely is above everyone else like you said with not having as much sexism, classism, and racism in her songs as others do.

    ReplyDelete