Monday, January 3, 2011

First Post: Question A

I loved listening to Bell Hooks, she is extremely knowledgeable and I think she has a fascinating take on the feminism movement. I agree with Bell Hooks that the media can control society and is vastly powerful when it comes to affecting people’s viewpoints as well. I remember being a young girl and wanting to look exactly like Britney Spears, because that was what the media marketed as “beautiful” but I did not have blonde hair or brown eyes like Britney, and so I did not see myself as beautiful. Now as an adult, I see the trends changing and women that would be considered beautiful at the time changing. However, as I look back, over the duration of my life one thing has been the same: the media’s portrayal of women as sexual objects.

As Bell Hooks described, Madonna started out as a positive advocate for feminism but quickly gave into the greedy atmosphere of pop culture. In present day, Madonna is still viewed as an icon in pop culture, and will forever be remembered for her actions, provocative outfits, kissing other women for attention over interest, instead of the changes she could have made in patriarchal society.

I think the media is in full control when it comes to distributing power and privilege throughout society.  The media can be held responsible for who is viewed as most attractive, if we have a matriarchal or patriarchal society, and how we view others. I think the media affects human beings from very early ages. If you examine a children’s book, some books already automatically assume the mother in the role of the primary care taker that stays home baking cookies and waving as the father goes off to work. As a young adult watching the news or listening to the radio, they learn different stereotypes and what is most interesting to society: violence and sex.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Madonna is quite an interesting figure. While she does have some interesting themes in her work, including some that are feminist-oriented, I agree with hooks that she is mostly about reproducing the status quo. I believe Madonna worships at the throne of capitalism more than she is an artist in the true sense. She also appropriated the cultural forms of many different cultures, esp. people of color, for her own profit and gain. In many ways, Lady Gaga has become the new Madonna for a new generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name Madonna is almost attached to sex because of how she decided to break the mold of sexism and feminism in pop-culture through the media. I agree with you and remember when all of the girl wanted to be like Britney Spears because she was doing almost the same marketing scheme that Madonna had done. Its almost comical how the media can manipulate our culture into believing that you have to look like a certain way or act a certain way to be considered "beautiful" or "sexy".

    ReplyDelete