Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Question H



I was born into the Roman Catholic religion. I would not say that I am a devout catholic, but I do believe in God and have morals. I just don’t believe in all aspects of the church, yet I do attend and celebrate the holidays. I would absolutely say that I experience privilege and an advantage by being part of the Christian group. Every holiday that I celebrate is a national holiday, and I never had school on these days. I also never had to work on these days either. I also don’t face any ridicule by being part of this group, but I do realize that people belonging to other groups do. The only real oppression that I have faced through being Catholic is others saying that I am a fool for believing in a religion where “priests molest children”. I think the circumstances where that has happened is awful, but that does not mean that every priest has done it. It also does not mean that my belief system is not valid, and does not affect prayer or attending mass. I really have difficulty comprehending why people go so crazy over other’s religious preferences. It is their business and does not affect others. I think people get involved in what they think is “right”. But the thing is, who even knows what is “right?”

No comments:

Post a Comment