Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick blog: classism


I have been privileged due to my economic status before. I think that I have been extremely lucky to be educated and it would not have been as easy for me to go out of state and live off of campus if I were not privileged enough to be part of the middle class.

A time when I have been oppressed due to my class was just a few months ago at Bloomingdales in chestnut hill. My fiancé had bought me a pair of sunglasses to pick up there, and I did not have the receipt. An older woman helped me and thought that I was trying to steal the glasses from the store when I told her the last name etc. It really bothered me at how rude and ignorant the woman was, even after I had offered his credit card, all his information and my information. A few minutes later she found the glasses put on hold in the backroom. Needless to say, I called the regional manager.

The most recent example of classism that comes to mind is the fact that Costco does not accept food stamps. This is a huge problem and disadvantage to people that need to use the food stamps, especially because you can save money at Costco. It should be a rule that food stamps can be used widely for purchasing food anywhere. It should be their right and our responsibility to ensure that they can access food that other people can. People should not be limited to only shopping at certain stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment